Total cost of ownership clear for all components
Wielemaker in Middelburg has been active in waste collection and transport for more than a hundred years. Up to about five years ago, their fleet management was done manually.
Ultimo at Wielemaker: working with hard figures
However, with 160 rolling stock units and over 3000 containers, this was no longer manageable, according to Jasper Wielemaker. “A fleet management system was too narrow for us. Most companies only use that kind of system to manage vehicle-related matters such as repairs, maintenance and refuelling registration. I wanted something broader; registering all activities per object and showing the total cost of ownership (TCO). And that takes you to the world of the asset management systems.”
A friend who works with Ultimo at the UMC Amsterdam told Wielemaker about their positive experience with the Ultimo Enterprise Asset Management suite. “I initially thought you couldn’t compare a hospital to what we do. But they explained that it doesn’t matter what objects you want to manage.”
“I wanted something broader than a fleet management system: registering all activities per object and showing the total cost of ownership. We used to do a lot based on our gut feeling, but we now work with hard figures,” explains Jasper Wielemaker, CEO of Wielemaker.
Challenges the company faced:
- Making the total cost of ownership transparent per object.
- Linking platforms such as ERP, transport planning and onboard computers.
- A package supporting the professionalisation goals of the organisation.
Results Wielemaker achieved:
- Significantly increased use of the fleet.
- Manage based on costs instead of a gut feeling.
- Using automation to work faster and better.
- Digitising maintenance management.
- Mobile working – on the tablet and at the machine.
- Better data about maintenance and repairs – and thus optimising the availability of the equipment.
- ISO- and IFS-compliant documentation.
- A clear plan of critical maintenance tasks
- All documentation relating to assets is available in one place
- A user-friendly solution that doesn’t require high levels of computer literacy
- A simple overview of daily maintenance tasks